Everyone keeps saying how important it is to travel. So, why do people travel and love travelling?
The benefits of traveling are not just a one-time thing: traveling changes you physically and psychologically. Having little time or money isn't a valid excuse. You can fly for cheap very easily or If you have a full-time job and a family, you can still travel on the weekends.
Here are some of the main benefits of traveling. And I'm sure that once you get started, you'll find some more yourself!
1) One of the main benefits of travelling, especially to areas where your native language is not widely used, is that you learn how to communicate better with other people. Brushing up your knowledge on the most commonly used phrases or questions tourists ask can help you reach out to and relate better with the locals.
2) Traveling forces us to temporarily disconnect from our normal routine, helping us appreciate the people and things we have around.
3) Travelling helps you connect with different people from different cultures. This gives you the opportunity to see issues and daily life challenges from a different angle.
4) You can learn a lot about yourself through travelling. You can observe how you feel beeing far from your country. You will find out how you feel about your homeland. You will realise how you really feel about foreign people. You will find out how much you know/do not know about the world.
5) If you travel, you can experience things that you could never experience at home. You may see beautiful places and landscapes that do not exist where you live.
6) Even if you go to a country where they speak the same language as you, you may still learn some new words and expressions that are only used there.
7) When you grow old and look back at your life and all your travel experiences, you will realise how much you have done in your life and your life was not in vain.
8) Men who do not take an annual vacation show a 20 percent higher risk of death and 30 percent greater risk of heart disease.
9) Although missing a connecting flight or losing baggage in a foreign airport is sure to boost your anxiety, traveling has been scientifically proven to lower stress levels, and rather dramatically.
10) Most people tend to be happier when they’re traveling and don’t have to worry about work, of course. However, one of the more interesting takeaways from psychologists is that people also experience a direct increase in happiness from just planning a trip.
Cover Photo: Wix